First off, thank you to any and every one who spoke to me, called me, texted me, facebooked me, tweeted me, etc. to say "Happy Birthday" or the equivalent yesterday. It was truly breathtaking how many people took a minute to say "hello" and it absolutely made my day.
1. I'm nearer to 30 today than I was yesterday, but I've been closer to 30 than 20 for more than 4 years now. I don't feel old yet.
2. I'm almost 30 and I'm still not a successful writer. This bothers me. Not as much as the fact that I'm almost 30 and kinda broke, but still it does bother me.
3. Gadgets have made my life immeasurably simpler than it was just four or five years ago. I'm speaking specifically about my iMac, laptop and iPhone. Five years ago, I never remember anything. Now it is quite hard for me to forget an event or appointment.
4. My boys change literally everyday. I send them back to their mother one day and pick them up two days later as different people. I'm around a lot, but if I was watching them 24 hours a day I'd still miss stuff. It's amazing. And heartbreaking. And magical.
5. The fall is my favorite time of year. Football, new TV shows and crisp weather. It's not here in north Louisiana yet, but you can smell it around the corner. I'm more excited this year than I've maybe ever been.
6. I use much more than 200 megabytes of mobile data per month. Or, at least my natural habit would be to use more. I just had to up my data plan for the iPhone. It's still $5/month cheaper than it used to be.
7. Music can make almost anything better. Food, a mood, a date, a birthday, a good cry, a victory celebration. It really doesn't matter the modified article, music will heighten it.
8. I miss "Lost". I think I'm gonna start watching it again.
9. "Boardwalk Empire" is my favorite new show. I would kiss HBO if it was a person and not a massive media company...as long as it wasn't an ugly person...okay, I'd probably kiss it anyway, but I might not like it as much.
10. 40 seems immediately nearer than I ever imagined it would be. I'm not scared of it as I once thought I'd be. It's just there, looming in the not-so-distance. A deadline and a mile marker. The goal and the reward.
11. A good woman is hard to find, and yet I have.
12. My appreciation and respect for my parents over time can be plotted in a parabola. As a math teacher might be able to explain to you (since I can barely remember how paraboles work), it was tremendously high when I was young, got low as I grew up and is returning to high levels as I age.
13. I've now had a driver's license almost as long as I hadn't had one. Don't know why, but that seems so strange to me.
14. Play by play calling is probably my favorite thing to do in the world...besides writing. It uses just about every one of my interests. It's like it was made for me. Or I was made for it.
15. I'm working on a list of things I want to do before I'm 30. Number 1 is finish the list.??
16. The series I've been writing about love songs has been some of my most joyous writing in memory. It's absolutely been a breathe of fresh air.
17. I've attended a for real "big church" two Sunday's in a row. I was less nervous the second Sunday. Don't know why it still freaks me out a little bit.
18. I'm always surprised and flattered when I found out someone reads my blogs. A lot of someone's have been reading my "love songs" posts and that's awesome.
19. Being "friends" with people you never interact with on Facebook is weird. However, I hate disconnecting from someone on Facebook, 'cause maybe they just aren't very active.
20. I want an iPad really, really badly. I want to not have debts more. I want some rich person to pay off my debt and then buy me an iPad. Any takers?
21. I'd also like the new Apple TV, wall mounts for both my living room TV and the iMac, and a new pair of sneakers, if anyone's making Christmas lists.
22. I'm excited about Christmas with the boys this year. They'll be old enough to really get into the spirit of things. It's gonna be awesome.
23. I'm more excited to watch the Miami Heat this season than I have been for any basketball team since the first year we got the Hornets. Over/under on Heat games I'll watch this year is set at 50. I'm taking the over.
24. I still love Lebron James. But I often root for the bad guy.
25. If I had it to do over again, I'd have pushed harder to name my younger son Django. Damn the naysayers.
26. It's entirely possible that I may rename myself Django.
27. The Saints are going back to the Superbowl. Mark it down.
28. It was harder than I imagined to come up with 29 thoughts for my birthday. Next year I'm gonna have an easier list.
29. Happiness comes from within but can be directly affected, amplified or dulled by the prescence and personality of others around you. I am surrounded by wonderful caring people in my life. Thank you all for helping me be happy.